National Safety Council appoints multisectoral group to help tackle most common workplace injuries
ITASCA, III., December 13, 2021 / PRNewswire / – Building on the National Safety Council (NSC) ‘s partnership with Amazon (NASDAQ: AMZN) to solve the most common workplace injuries in the United States, America’s leading nonprofit safety advocate today appointed the founding members of the advisory board for this groundbreaking program to prevent ergonomic injuries – known as musculoskeletal disorders (MSDs) – anywhere in the workplace.
âFor over a century, NSC has pioneered new strategies to help people live safer, fuller lives, both on and off the clock,â said Lorraine Martin, President and Chief Executive Officer of the National Security Council. âThis collaboration is another important step in our work to prevent workplace injuries – and we are in great company. Together with the experts on our multisectoral advisory board, we stand ready to ‘get things done’ on ergonomic issues: an all-too-frequent safety challenge affecting a quarter of the world’s population. “
âAt Amazon, nothing is more important than the health and safety of our employees,â said Heather MacDougall, vice president of global occupational health and safety at Amazon. âMSD-related injuries are the leading cause of workplace injuries in all industries. We are committed to reducing the risks associated with MSDs as we pursue our vision of becoming the world’s safest workplace. “
Led by NSC, the inaugural Advisory Board meeting will be held today with representatives from the following organizations as founding members:
- Auburn University
- Reference digital partners
- Ergonomics center in North Carolina State University
- Health heritage
- Jacobs Engineering
- Freedom Mutual Insurance
- Lloyd’s Register Foundation
- Lockheed Martin
- National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health
- Ohio State University
- Pfizer, Inc.
- Sandalwood engineering and ergonomics
- You’re here
- Texas A&M University
- United airlines
- Virginia University of Technology
- WorkCare, Inc.
- NW right work
- XPO Logistics
The Advisory Board is a voluntary group of health and safety, ergonomics and innovation experts who will support the work of the program in the following ways:
- Assist in practice, direction and research efforts by providing expertise, insight, resources and access to networks that can enrich the body of knowledge.
- Activate the work of the program through participation, understanding and philanthropic support, including assessment of innovation challenges and hackathons as well as grant applications.
- Amplify the influence and voice of the program, including communication, advocacy, positioning and policy efforts.
âErgonomic issues are a widespread challenge that impacts many people around the world, especially in the workplace,â said Julia abate, Executive Director, Center for Ergonomics at North Carolina State University. âThatâs why Iâm delighted to join the National Safety Council, Amazon and many of the leading subject matter experts on the advisory board to find solutions to this problem. Although it is a daunting task, it is also a tremendous opportunity to support research and innovation that will ultimately have a positive impact on people’s lives. “
NSC will be launching the following initiatives over the coming year to achieve its goal of preventing MSD injuries before they start:
- MSD commitment: The program is dedicated to helping all workplaces advance their journey to safety. Through the MSD Pledge, businesses large and small will be invited to take a seat around the table to help meet this global challenge.
- Inaugural Hackathon Challenge: Individuals and organizations will have the opportunity to develop cutting-edge solutions to prevent and eliminate work-related MSDs. Prizes and scholarships will be awarded during this competition to honor innovation and help finance these solutions.
- Grants for small businesses and universities: Provide grants to small businesses, universities and students that will fund research and innovation that will help businesses of all sizes make an impact.
- MSD 2025 Pioneering research: Conduct research using next-generation artificial intelligence, natural language processing, and machine learning tools to explore current and future innovations and trends in MSD. The research will be available for all industries to explore and glean information, with a first white paper to debut in the second half of 2022.
To learn more about this partnership, visit www.nsc.org/ErgoLab.
About the National Security Council
The National Safety Council has been America’s foremost nonprofit safety advocate for over 100 years. As a mission-based organization, we strive to eliminate the leading causes of preventable death and injury, focusing our efforts on the workplace, roads and disabilities. We create a safety culture not only to keep people safe at work, but also beyond the workplace so that they can live their lives to the fullest.
Connect with NSC:
SOURCE National Security Council